Tuesday 27 December 2011

hers~ a design book on feminine style

 I was asked if I would like to review the new book, "hers" 
on designing spaces with a feminine touch, written by Jacqueline deMontravel. 
 Jacqueline is also the editor of Romantic Homes magazine, 
so I knew I would be in for a treat!  
My decorating style is definitely romantic and feminine
 and this book was right up my alley.
It is filled with encouragement and tips on how to incorporate a woman's touch into any space in your home.
 My home office is my latest project, 
and here I was trying to reinvent a space that
 felt romantic and feminine without going too sweet and girlish.
  This book came at a perfect time to help steer me 
in the right direction and validate the things
 that I was trying to achieve in creating my own work haven.
 Hers has sections dedicated to different spaces, 
like the home office, the bedroom, the living areas, and the outdoors. 
 Here a shabby french desk with an inspiration board 
above becomes this woman's private space that feeds her romantic leanings.
 This masculine antique desk gets feminized with old books, flowers and artwork.
 Drool worthy page after page showing ideas 
on how to create feminine spaces throughout the home,
like this dining room with a collection of hotel silver.
 Jacqueline visits homes of familiar bloggers,
 like this one of Brooke Giannetti of Velvet and Linen. 
 This vignette that Brooke created in her entry with 
the oversized french clock face and the mora clock
 along with the pretty cane settee went viral in blogland.
  I still love how this space makes me feel when I look at it.
 Jacqueline offers tips on how to claim spaces
 and add the feminine touches~like this example in a library.
  Too often a library is a masculine place in the home, 
but here there is a nice balance.
 Specifically she tells you to add more layers and accessories
 such as an embroidered table runner to give a cozier effect. 
Jacqueline says to romanticize a room with lighting and accessories.
 Above, a pretty daybed is nestled in the attic eaves
 under a vintage chandelier hung from white washed beams. 
 Chapter after chapter with tons of glossy romantic images
 made reading this book a delight!  
There were overblown french style rooms, 
gustavian white washed rooms with gilded touches,
 shabby chic cottage rooms and sophisticated traditional rooms~
all designed with the feminine touch.
 I organized my office shelves with the things
 that I find comforting with a new eye after reading "hers".
 All of us women have a romantic part that we need to pay attention to~
 Designing my  space with my romantic needs in mind 
as well as the functional aspect created a space I love.
There will be more layers added to underscore the tips I learned from "hers".
 If you are looking for a good book to add to your design collection~
 pick up a copy of "hers, design with a feminine touch
written by Jacqueline deMontravel, and printed by Crown Publishing.
P.S. Jacqueline really is a girly girl at heart~
look at what color the book is under the pretty dust cover~
shocking pink!

(The opinions I expressed were my own,
 and I was not compensated to write this review.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment