Monday 4 October 2010

My Fall Family Tree

My poor husband ... he's such a great sport when it comes to supporting my decorating obsession hobby.  He'll make countless trips up into the *sauna-like* attic for me when it's time to decorate for the holidays.  HowEVER ... he wasn't quite prepared to pull a Christmas tree down ... in Sept-EMBER!  lol

I really wanted to do a *family* Christmas tree again this year ... I'm just putting it up a tad bit earlier.  And, it's not *really* a Christmas tree, per se ... more of a FALL family tree, with rustic, muted ornaments (and, okay, a few sparklies mixed in, too)!

I wrapped it in both burlap and grapevine garland and added lots of bird feathers ...


gold and copper-y ornaments (WalMart), and a picture of one of my older sisters and her family while visiting her husband's family in France ...


a few sprigs that have birds' nests on them (with a little gold birdie perched in one now).  The glittery topped acorn sparkles away in the lights ...


gold layered balls (have them in copper and apple green, too).  I found them at Dollar Tree last year ... 2 for $1 ... score!) ...


a baby owl, who found another empty nest to rest in (alongside a picture from when my husband and I renewed our vows in Punta Cana for our 15th Anniversary, this past July):


pinecones scattered on branches and a burlap *skirt* peeking through (you *know* I love the sparkly leaves) ...


Annnnnd, you'll see branches and more feathers sprouting up from the top, along with bows in pretty colors of browns, golds and creams (gotta add more birch):


But, the most important *embellishments* on our tree are the family pictures and sayings that grace it, reminding us what this season is about .. being thankful for family and friends.  I've included pictures of generations past, and I love having them as part of the tree ... part of the season.  Even though I'm not good about visiting my family in Virginia, they mean so much to me.  I get sentimental putting these pics on the tree, especially as I see members of my family who are no longer with us.  Years gone by ... moments that are now memories.  

Here's my younger sister (now 35) surrounded by my late grandfather and other relatives, while she models a lovely purse (*ta-da*) at a family gathering.  She's always been the stylish one!  And, my most treasured picture ... the moment I first held and met my son.  Okay, where are my tissues?


Thanks for visiting!



0 comments:

Post a Comment