Friday 22 June 2012

When Creative Juices Flow: DIY Stained Glass Jars & Bottles

Never miss any update from my blog like my Facebook Page Click Here!!

When I moved to my new haven I carried along all the stuff that I've hoarded over the years and that I wanted to turn into treasure, like empty glass jars and bottles, cardboard boxes, cans and plastic containers :-o Then husband advised, rather ordered to give all that away to our maid and reluctantly I did it. Guess what ;-)) me being me I gave away only half of the junk and kept back rest of it for my DIY projects. 
I was pondering over at what do I do with these glass jars and bottles and googled  number of times and I found some wonderful inspirations. Then ideas started flooding in my mind and I made lot of stained glass bottles and jars and used them in every possible way. It's a good project for Diwali also. You can make lot of lanterns for Diwali and can hang then in balcony/terrace or in your garden with LED tealight inside it. Check out some more Diwali Craft Ideas click here & here.

I used it as a Vase : It looked beautiful.

http://designdecoranddisha.blogspot.com

http://designdecoranddisha.blogspot.com



 As Lanterns: 







 It looks beautiful in the night.



As a Planter: 


Grow plants like money plant or any other plant that can grow in water.






As a Pen & Brush Holder: 




Being an  artist how can you forget your brushes. They also deserve some nice place to sit in.


Tutorial

Now here's a step wise tutorial for dear readers.
1. Take an empty glass jar or bottle.
2. Wash and let it dry. You can wipe it with spirit afterwards to remove any trace of soap.
3. Take a glass painting color of your choice and paint outside of the bottle with sponge brush.
4. Let it dry for 24 hrs. Though I was impatient and waited only for 3-4 hrs.
5. Use 3D outliner to make outlines and then let it dry.
6. Fill glass colors of your choice inside the 3D outlined design. Let it dry.
7. Alternatively you can skip step 5 & 6 and can use pearl/shimmer color to directly paint on stained glass or bottle as I did in peacock feather patterned jar.

Here you go. Your Stained glass jar is ready. Imaginations and possibilities are numerous, use your creativity.

http://designdecoranddisha.blogspot.com

P.S : -
1. If your brush strokes are visible on glass jar and finishing is not good try this trick, pour small quantity of  glass color in the bottle and swirl it inside the bottle until color spreads entirely. Keep the bottle over turned on paper/towel and let it dry. Wipe off extra color from the rim.
3. You can use acrylic color also and using mod-podge you can stick object of your choice. I stuck peacock feather (refer image 2).
2.  For glossy finish and durability apply a coat of varnish on finished product and let it dry.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Let me know your views and opinion.... leave your comments.
Have a wonderful weekend and stay creative.




0 comments:

Post a Comment